Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cornmeal Date Scones

When I worked at CakeLove, the owner made the most amazing scones filled with dates, ginger and a bit of cornmeal. He whipped them together for a general manager's meeting and didn't have a recipe. Believe me, I asked. I obsessed about them for weeks afterward and way more than a year later I still think about them.

With no formal recipe and my faulty memory, the best I can do is try to create something delicious and I think I succeeded this AM. I used buttermilk since I always have buttermilk in the frig. Cream would make them richer and could be substituted. Or milk.

Not liking things too sweet, especially breakfast food, I didn't fill up the 1/4 cup measuring scoop with sugar because it looked like A LOT of sugar vis-a-vie the amount of flour. I could have used the full 1/4 c. of sugar, but when the measuring scoop was about 3/4 full, I tossed it in. That was just the right amount for me, but feel free to add full 1/4 cup if you like sweeter scones.

I could have used more dates, although the occasional bite of chewy fruit is adequate. The six I chopped up looked like a lot, but I love dates and it never hurts to have more fruit than less.

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. fine yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
scant 1/4 c. sugar (maybe about 3/4 full)
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter
1 c. buttermilk or milk or cream
6 pieces of crystallized or candied ginger, chopped
6 to 8 dried dates, pitted and chopped

Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal with larger clumps. Add the chopped dates and ginger. Toss with your hands to combine.

Pour in the buttermilk (or other liquid). Using a rubber spatula, fold buttermilk into the dough, working in all directions and incorporating crumbs at the bottom of the bowl until the dough just comes together. If you need to add a splash more liquid to bring the dough together, go right ahead. The dough will be slightly sticky. Do not overmix.

Drop mounds of dough (about 1/3 c. each) about 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. You can use your hands or two spoons.

Bake until the scones are golden, 15 to 20 minutes.


No comments: